Thursday, October 14, 2010

Maus 2

I enjoyed the Maus 2 just as much as Maus 1 although it did take me a little longer to get into Maus 2.  That was mostly due to Art’s father, the way he was acting in the second book really got on my nerves.  For one thing the way he talked, switching words around and leaving out certain ones to make the sentences so choppy was not very enjoyable to read.  I also noticed a lot of misspellings, especially in the back half of the book.  This bothered me to no end!

It seemed to me that there was a bit more of the present in this novel.  I feel like we got to know more about Art’s father as he is now, as the war had made him.  I’m not too sure if I could handle talking to a person like that, with all of his complaints it would drive me up a wall in no time. 

Something I did find fascinating was that his father returned half eaten and already opened food because he wasn’t going to eat it.  I understand not being wasteful but that is just ridiculous.  I couldn’t imagine eating half a box of cereal and then returning it to the store.  I understand what his father went through and being hungry for so long but without actually having gone through it myself I just can’t quite grasp the need to be that frugal with everything.  I think it would be quite interesting though to explore a little more into the psychology of being starved and having so little for so long.  Not necessarily the holocaust itself just a lack of everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment