Monday, October 4, 2010

Maus 1

I really enjoyed Maus 1, it’s probably been my favorite out of all the readings so far.  The story itself was fascinating, the father’s journey through the war.  His fight, his time as a prisoner of war his escape and reunion, all of it was told very well and very moving.  I thought it was very cool how the author played it out with him asking his father to tell him stories of that time, getting his dad’s biography.  It must have been a great experience for Spiegelman to hear his father talk about such a huge part of his life like this.  I’ve on a number of occasions asked my grandfather about his time in the Army during World War 2 and all that he has done and it was very moving a lot of times and the rest enthralling.

I liked the drawings in this novel as well, especially over A Contract with God.  I liked how the characters were different animals depending on their background; the Jews being mice, the Poles pigs and the Nazi some type of cat or tiger looking creature. 

Spiegleman’s father was portrayed as a very interesting character; I liked the personality he had.  It was a nice relief every once in a while to cut back to his father yelling at the son about one thing or another, whether it be the pills or Spiegleman ashing on his father’s floor.

After finishing this novel I’m very excited to read the second one and find out where the story goes next.

No comments:

Post a Comment