Thursday, October 14, 2010

I would like to comment on the Nicole Hollander interview today.  First off I have never heard of her or her comic strip before and when I started reading about her being part of the feminist movement I decided I probably will never read a strip but that’s just my personal opinion on feminism and a whole other topic.

I like the answer she gave where she said her father was atheist but he believed in community which I think is fantastic.  Personally religion just seems like a way to create community because let’s face it we have no proof of God, only very old books that speak of fantastic things.  But the one thing over the thousands of years religion has done was brought people together and that provides strength, hope, help, and any number of things that I’m sure has very much helped the human race through many hard times.  To relate this post to our class the holocaust being a major hardship in recent history.

I found it interest also that the interviewer brought up the point that some things that were relevant almost a decade or more ago are still relevant now, most of these things being issues.  That kind of upsets me that we are still dealing with the same things now and have not yet fixed them.  The quote “What surprised me was that our memories are so short. But what dismayed me was the number of different ways we could repeat the same mistakes as a nation,” really got me thinking and it is quite true.  With the exception of 9/11 you don’t often here about the tragedies of the past unless you’re an avid watcher of the History Channel. 

No comments:

Post a Comment